What is God like?
by Kim, Larsen
Isaiah 41:10 and 13 says, “fear not for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
I’ve come to realize that many people have very different ideas about who God is. Many fear him to be an angry God, one who demands reverence. Many of the ancient people worshipped gods who required human sacrifice and rituals that would be very difficult to carry out. Some gods had requirements to make pilgrimages, or lists of things to accomplish for forgiveness of sin.
What do the people of today think about who God is? They say that hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, fires are an act of God. That’s harsh don’t you think? So, I made a list of some of the character traits of God from His very own law.
- He is the Creator : Isaiah 43:15 “I am the Lord, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King.
- He alone deserves worship. Revelation 14:7 “Saying with a loud voice, Fear God , and give glory to Him; for the hour of his judgment is come; and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.”
- He desires love and true devotion. John 14:21 “He that hath my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves me; and he that loves me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.”
- He wants to spend time with His children. Isaiah 66:23 ,”And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.
- He believes in family. Ephesians 6:1 “Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.”
- He does not murder. Psalm 91:2, “I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress; my God ; in him will I trust.”
- He is faithful. Hebrews 13:5 “Let your conversation be without covetousness ; and be content with such things as ye have; for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”
- He does not take things from us without asking. “Ephesians 4:28, “Let him that stole steal no more; but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needs.”
- He does not lie. Psalm 33:4 “For the word of the Lord is right; and all his works are done in truth.
- He does not desire things that are not his. Matthew 5:40 “And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.”
So, you see who God really is? His character is in His law. Exodus 20:3-17